“WHY DID YOU OPT FOЯ THIS PΛЯTICULΛЯ DΞGЯΞΞ?”
This question often comes up during interviews and holds more significance than it might seem at first glance. It’s like a window into your motivations and choices. Interviewers are genuinely curious about why you chose this academic path, as it can reveal a lot about your ambitions and plans.
Let’s break it down a bit:
- Clarity about the Future: They’re interested in whether you have a clear picture of where you’re headed. Can you explain your goals in a way that shows you’ve thought things through?
- Does it Align? They’re trying to figure out if your degree aligns with what you want to do in your career. Basically, does it make sense, or did you pick it randomly?
Now, when you answer, you might fall into one of these categories:
- All-In on Your Career Choice: If you’ve got a solid reason for your degree, one that makes it clear where you’re headed, that’s fantastic. It’s your chance to show how excited you are and how your degree is a stepping stone to where you want to be. And don’t forget, your confidence in your field matters.
- Keeping Doors Open: Maybe you went for a broader degree that gives you options. If that’s the case, explain how your choice gives you a strong foundation for different paths. It’s like saying, “Hey, I’m adaptable, and I’ve got a bunch of skills to bring to the table.”
Highlight how your degree equips you with versatile skills that can be applied across different industries or roles.
- Discovering Value Along the Way: Sometimes, you might have chosen your degree without a super clear plan, but now you’ve found unexpected benefits. Share how your degree might not be a direct match, but it’s brought you transferable skills, experiences, and knowledge that can add real value in this current role.
Remember | practice really helps here. If you prepare your answers to possible interview questions, you’ll feel more comfortable and ready to shine.