2024 INFOЯMΛTION TΞCHNOLOGY SUMMΞЯ INTΞЯNSHIP PЯOGЯΛMMΞ, SΞCUЯITY IT – LONDON
Opportunity ID 1021
Business unit(s) Corporate
Program type Summer Internship
Jefferies is a leading, full-service global investment banking and capital markets firm, thanks to a unique culture that attracts driven and entrepreneurial professionals from around the world. Recognized for our insights, drive and high touch service, Jefferies provides investors, companies and governments with a full range of advisory, sales and trading, research, wealth, and asset management services across all products in the Americas, Europe and Asia. Come to Jefferies and you will find a combination of long-term Jefferies partners who turned the firm into what it is today and a fast-growing team of highly talented colleagues who will help lead us to new heights in the future.
About Information Technology
At Jefferies, the IT team is increasingly a source of revenue and competitive advantage for one of the fastest growing investment banking firms in the world. Our team of business technologists enable Jefferies’ sales, trading, research and banking colleagues to solve problems and seize opportunities with more speed and precision than ever before. We deploy and manage the technology that keeps Jefferies running and our colleagues connected. We develop applications and tools to seamlessly serve Jefferies’ clients. We enhance business outcomes with AI and machine learning tools that uncover actionable insights from millions of data points from around the world. We believe the strength of Jefferies always has been and always will be its people. And we believe our most important job is deploying technology to help them do their jobs better. In an industry being radically reshaped by technology, our IT team is integrated into every facet of Jefferies’ business.
Work With Us
- An Opportunity to Explore: At Jefferies, you can go where your talents and interests take you. We want curious and creative people eager to push the boundaries of what they can do and passionate about using technology to solve problems and deliver better outcomes for our business. There are no silos, no lanes to stay in, and we don’ want people managing and executing the same narrow set of tasks each day.
- A No Corner Office Culture: At Jefferies, you’ll find our business technologists working right alongside traders, researchers investment bankers, and sales teams. That’s how our technologists develop expertise about how trades work, how transactions are cleared, how clients are served, which data really matters, and how and why equity, fixed income and private markets move. When you join Jefferies, you will develop the financial market savvy necessary to build the platforms and the cutting edge applications that keep Jefferies one step ahead of our competitors.
- A Chance to Unlock the Power of Big Data: Now, and in the years ahead, our businesses technologists will be leading Jefferies’ wholesale move into cloud computing. We will increasingly be building native applications in the cloud and using AI and machine learning tools to translate data into actionable insights, to automate more functions, to make Jefferies operations more secure and client service more seamless.
- A Team of Builders and Problem Solvers: At some larger companies, the IT team’s primary role is maintaining legacy technology systems that are so sprawling and ingrained in the business that it’s difficult to transition to something new. But Jefferies is different. We’re growing fast, breaking into new markets and regions and we’re often building new technology platforms from the ground up. We have people from all across the business coming to us to answer their most mission-critical questions. Technology is inevitably key to answer these questions. And as a business technologist, it’s up to you to deliver the right solution at exactly the right moment.
Summer Intern Program:
Summer Analysts will be placed in one of the following teams within Information Technology: Our business aligned areas such as Fixed Income, Equities, IB Technology, CRM & Analytics or our functional aligned areas such as Corporate Technology, Infrastructure & Security.
Join our Security Team
As a part of Jefferies Information Technology, Summer Analysts may also be able to specialize in Information Security. The Global Information Security organization protects Jefferies critical systems and sensitive information from internal and external cyber attacks through use of technology as well as efforts such as Cyber Data Analytics.
What we look for:
- Students with an expected graduation year of 2025
- Undergraduate or master’s level candidate – working towards a Masters or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Security, Cybersecurity, or a related field
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly as you collaborate with others in a fast-paced team-oriented environment
- Motivated candidates with a desire to pursue a Technology based career in Financial Services upon graduation
- Strong leadership and problem-solving skills
Desired Technical Skills;
- Knowledge of Cyber Security Frameworks (NIST, MITRE)
- Knowledge of Cyber Security Theory
- Knowledge of Vulnerability ManagementKnowledge of Authentication Standards (OAUTH2, JWT)
- Operating System experience: Linux; Windows
- Knowledge of Security Information Event Management (SIEM)
- Understanding of firewalls, such as Palo Alto Networks, Cisco, Juniper, etc
- Experience with Java, Python/Boto3, VBA, Macro, Bash, PowerShell, SQL, Terraform, CloudFormation and/or other scripting languages
- Experience with Cloud Platforms (AWS; Azure, GCP) and/or Cloud Security Tools (Cloud Security Posture Management, Data Security Posture Management, Guard Duty) for red and blue team alerting
- Experience with Modern Virtualization; Kubernetes container management; Docker
- Experience with parsing logs or use of a Security Information Event Management system (SIEM)
- Experience with network routing & switching technologies, network security protocols, understanding stateful application traffic profiles, cloud network connectivity solutions
- Understanding of firewalls, such as Palo Alto Networks, Cisco, Juniper, etc
- Understanding of firewall rule building and policy flow
- Understanding of network security technologies such as WAF, IDS/IPS, Anti-Malware, etc.
Identity Access & Service Management
- Experience with Java, Spring Boot, Python, VBA, HTML, CSS, PowerShell, SQL and/or other scripting languages
- High level understanding of Agile/DevOps ways of working; Git repository, CI/CD pipeline
- REST API and/or SOAP API experience
- Experience in designing and building cloud-native web applications on AWS, which includes working knowledge of services like EC2, ELB, RDS, S3, Lambda and RDS
- Knowledge of authentication protocols such as OAuth2.0, SAML, LDAP, RADIUS
- Experience with Java, Python, PowerShell, SQL and/or other scripting languages
- Knowledge of creating and improving queries for large datasets (Splunk and/or SQL)
- Knowledge of Operating Systems (Linux; Windows)
- Experience with MS Azure
- Understanding of Data Loss Prevention/Detection
- Understanding of Endpoint Detection & Response Tools (Crowdstrike, MS Defender)
- Fundamental grasp of machine learning algorithms and data analysis techniques.
- Experience in Python and/or R (either from academic coursework, personal projects, or previous internships).
- Familiarity with data manipulation libraries (e.g., Pandas, NumPy)
Diversity, Equal Employment Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodations
At Jefferies, we believe that diversity fosters creativity, innovation and thought leadership through the infusion of new ideas and perspectives. We have made a commitment to building a culture that provides opportunities for all employees regardless of our differences and supporting a workforce that is reflective of the communities where we work and live. As a result, we are able to pool our collective insights and intelligence to provide fresh and innovative thinking for our clients.
Jefferies is an equal employment opportunity workplace. We practice equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, religion, ancestry, color, gender, pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability or medical condition, national origin, marital, family and social status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, religion, trade union membership or any other factor protected by law. We are committed to hiring the most qualified applicants and complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. In accordance with applicable law, we are dedicated to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs. Please inform your recruiter should you require accommodations throughout your application process.