Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for a bright and motivated graduate to join our Corporate Development division on our 2024 Graduate Programme.
Our Corporate Development Programme is the perfect start for a graduate looking to develop their commercial and technical skills and build a long-term career.
Schroders is a global investment manager which helps institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their aspirations, and prepare for the future.
Our purpose is to provide excellent investment performance to our clients through active management. By serving clients, we serve wider society. Channelling capital into sustainable and durable businesses accelerates positive change in the world. Funding the future is a privilege: we use it wisely and responsibly.
We employ over 5700 talented people worldwide operating in 37 different locations across Europe, the Americas, Asia, Africa and the Middle East, close to the markets in which we invest and close to our clients.
Schroders has developed under stable ownership for over 200 years and long-term thinking governs our approach to investing, building client relationships and growing our business.
We’re based in the City of London – close to our clients, in the heart of the UK’s financial centre and have everything we need to work flexibly.
Reporting to an existing member of the Corporate Development team, the role is part of a small and high profile Corporate Development team of three. The team’s aim is to provide full input to the development of the group’s Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) strategy by identifying and assessing sector and/or geographic growth opportunities as well as specific target companies, and executing on transactions and strategic partnership opportunities as required.
The team works closely with senior management including the Group Head of Strategy, Group CEO and Group CFO. The team is also manages strategic projects internally and is responsible for analysing hard to value, unquoted assets within client portfolios that are referred to the Valuation Committee.
Focussed on M&A sourcing and execution, the role involves financial analysis and modelling as well as gathering competitor and market intelligence to deliver insights and briefings to inform senior management, including the Plc Board and the Group Management Committee. The role involves supporting the team during deal evaluation, help in co-ordinating the internal and external parties involved in the transaction and ensuring the deals stay on course, driving the transaction through to completion.
As a graduate in the Corporate Development team, you will be given an excellent grounding in the function and given the opportunity to build expertise across strategic initiatives, business strategy, corporate finance, business development, M&A and research.
You’ll be encouraged to build relationships with people across the business and grow your understanding of how Corporate Development operates at the firm.
Some of your tasks as a Graduate in this role will include:
M&A Sourcing and Analysis
– Conduct financial analysis by researching potential targets in given areas, providing background data and initial valuations to management
– Produce comparisons of live acquisition opportunities to other businesses in the target sector / product to understand alternatives
– Conduct “first reads” of teasers to establish whether to pursue a target and carry out initial business and valuation analysis to establish interest levels
– Maintain and update trading and transaction multiple databases
– Develop a network of external intermediaries to support in origination of potential opportunities
Execution of M&A Activity
– Assist in the acquisition or disposal process including due diligence, co-ordinating and motivation of internal and external teams through to closure of deal
– Carry out high quality and detailed financial modelling in detail and distilling key messages for management
– Assist with drafting of board papers, letters of interest and other transaction documentation
– Post acquisition / disposal, work alongside change management to ensure planning occurs at correct points in cycle and assist where appropriate on post transaction integration and/or separation
– Gather competitor and market intelligence on an ongoing basis, creating updates and insights for senior management when appropriate
– Assist with valuation of hard to value, unquoted assets held in client portfolios for the group’s Valuation Committee
– Work on internal projects on an ad hoc basis including; strategic studies, large mandate pitches, possible disposal of businesses and drafting papers for the Head of Corporate Developmen
What you’ll be like
The knowledge, skills and qualifications we’re looking for
Why join us:
Candidates should be available to start the graduate programme on 12 September 2024.
If you think you may require disability-related adjustments at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com our disability partner EmployAbility (employ-ability.org.uk) for a confidential discussion and advice.
We recruit on a rolling basis and may choose to close this role earlier than advertised. Therefore we recommend you apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
We recognise potential, whoever you are
Our purpose is to provide excellent investment performance to clients through active management. Diversity of thought facilitated by an inclusive culture will allow us to make better decisions and better achieve our purpose. This is why inclusion and diversity are a strategic priority for us and why we are an equal opportunities employer: you are welcome here regardless of your age, disability, gender identity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, socio-economic background or any other protected characteristics.
As a global investment manager, we help institutions, intermediaries and individuals across the planet meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future. But as the world changes, so do our clients’ needs. That’s why we have a long history of adapting to suit the times and keeping our focus on what matters most to our clients.
Doing this takes experience and expertise. We bring together people and data to spot the trends that will shape the future. This provides a unique perspective which allows us to always invest with conviction. We are responsible for £737.5 billion (€831.3 billion/$887.2 billion)* of assets for our clients who trust us to deliver sustainable returns. We remain determined to build future prosperity for them, and for all of society. Today, we have 6,100+ people across six continents who focus on doing just this.
We are a global business that’s managed locally. This allows us to always keep our clients’ needs at the heart of everything we do. For over two centuries and more than seven generations we’ve grown and developed our expertise in tandem with our clients’ needs and interests.
Source: Schroders, all data as at 31 December 2022.
Investing in securities is subject to risk. The value of investments can go down as well as up and is not guaranteed.