We are looking for people who are motivated, inquisitive, have demonstrable interest in the built environment and a clear passion to work within the real estate industry.
Schroders is a global investment manager which helps institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their aspirations, and prepare for the future.
Our purpose is to provide excellent investment performance to our clients through active management. By serving clients, we serve wider society. Channelling capital into sustainable and durable businesses accelerates positive change in the world. Funding the future is a privilege: we use it wisely and responsibly.
We employ over 5700 talented people worldwide operating in 37 different locations across Europe, the Americas, Asia, Africa and the Middle East, close to the markets in which we invest and close to our clients.
Schroders has developed under stable ownership for over 200 years and long-term thinking governs our approach to investing, building client relationships and growing our business.
We’re based in the City of London – close to our clients, in the heart of the UK’s financial centre and have everything we need to work flexibly.
Our Real Estate department is an integral part of Schroders Capital, the private market investment division of Schroders, and constitutes an important focus of the Group’s strategy for expansion.
With strong local footprints in the world’s most dynamic real estate markets, including the UK, Europe and Asia, our investors trust us to source what we consider to be excellent investment opportunities, deliver complex development projects and execute impactful asset management.
Schroders Capital Real Estate (‘SCRE’) is one of Europe’s largest real estate managers, with deep and broad expertise across a wide variety of real estate sectors, geographies and strategies. The SCRE team manages £23.6bn capital on behalf of its investors, with the aim to deliver exceptional risk-adjusted returns, portfolio diversification and positive impact whilst maintaining a rigorous focus on sustainability.
Our investment philosophy is centred around consistent themes, including: investing into locations with strong fundamentals; managing portfolios; generating resilient income and delivering positive environmental and social impact.
We adopt a research directed and market-focused investment approach. Our dedicated Real Estate Research team identifies those sectors, cities, strategies and characteristics that will drive outperformance, ensuring portfolios benefit from structural change and better align with socio-economic trends.
Our Sustainability and Impact Investing team is a Schroders USP and are fully integrated into our entire investment, risk and management processes. They are experts in their fields in Sustainability, Climate and Net Zero Carbon real estate investment management.
Our 2024 Summer Internship Programme runs for 10 weeks, starting in June 2024. This Programme will provide you with a unique introduction into the investment management industry and how the Real Estate department operates within this dynamic sector.
You will be given introductory training alongside the internship intake across the firm and more specific training within the Real Estate team, as well as opportunities to network with people across the business. During your internship you will be assigned to one of the following Real Estate desks:
You are not guaranteed a specific team; allocation is dependent upon business needs and individual interests.
Some of your tasks may include:
• Assist the Fund Management teams with reviewing new and existing opportunities across their portfolio. This may include researching investment opportunities, conducting valuation analysis, undertaking due diligence and creating reports for the Investment Committee.
• Support the asset management team with their activities, such as repositioning assets, driving the letting of vacant space or improving the sustainability characteristics of the buildings. This requires participating in onsite meetings with stakeholders, including agents, architects, building managers and contractors.
• Work with the Product and Client Group teams to help prepare for the launch new products, joint ventures and specialist strategies to grow the business. This involves research of new investment themes, supporting the structuring of new products and the creation of client presentations.
• Assisting the Sustainability team as they review existing assets to determine the quality of our buildings and design strategies to improve them and lessen the impact on the environment.
What you’ll be like:
We are looking for interns who have a genuine and demonstrable passion for the built environment, and who are keen to work on new opportunities each day. Does this sound like you:
The knowledge, skills and qualifications we’re looking for:
Why join us
• Benefit from a series of immersive and engaging training sessions equipping you with the skills you need to adapt to the world of work, hit the ground running and make an impact – training covers industry knowledge, technical and soft skills training
• Attend “Lunch and Learns/ “Coffee Hours” led by senior people across the business – your chance to build contacts in the industry and grow your professional network
• Opportunity to secure a spot on the 2025 graduate programme, subject to manager feedback and final interview
• Access to a buddy – we’ll match you with a graduate buddy where you’ll be supported during the first few weeks of your internship, helping you to integrate into the team and the business
• Group Project – work with a small group of interns on a current or strategic topic and presenting to managers at the end of the programme
• Attend an end of internship ‘celebration event’ – a chance to share celebrate your successes with fellow interns and line managers on the penultimate day of your programme – enjoy BBQ food and refreshments out on terrace spaces at Schroders HQ!
• Access to Employee Assistance Programme – providing you with access to 24 hour confidential telephone counselling and a comprehensive online source of information on a range of issues, including Mental Health
• Free use of private GP Service
• On-site staff restaurant
• Free use of on-site gym
1. Online application form and CV
2. Online assessments
3. Online video interview
4. Assessment centre
Candidates should be available to start the 2024 Summer Internship Programme on Monday 10 June 2024. The programme ends on Friday 16 August 2024.
If you think you may require disability-related adjustments at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org our disability partner EmployAbility (employ-ability.org.uk) for a confidential discussion and advice.
We recruit on a rolling basis and may choose to close this role earlier than advertised. Therefore we recommend you apply as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
We recognise potential, whoever you are
Our purpose is to provide excellent investment performance to clients through active management. Diversity of thought facilitated by an inclusive culture will allow us to make better decisions and better achieve our purpose. This is why inclusion and diversity are a strategic priority for us and why we are an equal opportunities employer: you are welcome here regardless of your age, disability, gender identity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, socio-economic background or any other protected characteristics.
As a global investment manager, we help institutions, intermediaries and individuals across the planet meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future. But as the world changes, so do our clients’ needs. That’s why we have a long history of adapting to suit the times and keeping our focus on what matters most to our clients.
Doing this takes experience and expertise. We bring together people and data to spot the trends that will shape the future. This provides a unique perspective which allows us to always invest with conviction. We are responsible for £737.5 billion (€831.3 billion/$887.2 billion)* of assets for our clients who trust us to deliver sustainable returns. We remain determined to build future prosperity for them, and for all of society. Today, we have 6,100+ people across six continents who focus on doing just this.
We are a global business that’s managed locally. This allows us to always keep our clients’ needs at the heart of everything we do. For over two centuries and more than seven generations we’ve grown and developed our expertise in tandem with our clients’ needs and interests.
Source: Schroders, all data as at 31 December 2022.
Investing in securities is subject to risk. The value of investments can go down as well as up and is not guaranteed.