Division: Impact Group
Location: United Kingdom, London
Employment Type: Intern
Salary: £58, 135
Closing Date: 09 December 2022
Summer Intern (Environmental, Social and Governance – Impact)
Our mission and objectives
- British International Investment is the UK’s development finance institution, owned by the UK Government. We invest with the aim of solving the biggest global development challenges by investing patient, flexible capital to support private sector growth and innovation.
- We have over 70 years of experience successfully supporting the sustainable, long-term growth of businesses in Africa and Asia, and have recently expanded to invest in the Indo-Pacific and Caribbean.
- We invest to achieve impact and a financial return which is then reinvested for more impact. Over the past five years, we have committed almost £7 billion of new investments, with our net assets growing in value to approximately £7.5 billion. We are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 900,000 workers and support many more. Over the next five years, we plan to grow further, and aim to commit around £9 billion of new investments over the period.
- Our new five-year strategy responds to the opportunities and challenges facing developing and emerging economies. To ensure our capital is used in the best way possible to meet these opportunities and challenges, it sets out three clear strategic objectives – to invest in productive, sustainable and inclusive development. These objectives mean an increased focus on climate finance, including investing in green infrastructure; on financing digital transformation; and on driving inclusive outcomes, including through gender and diversity finance.
- As part of our new strategy, we have changed our name to British International Investment (from 4 April 2022), to more accurately reflect our central role in the UK Government’s international financing offer.
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan and Ghana; with additional locations opening soon.
- We take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract, and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 500 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us and the new strategy at bii.co.uk
If you are interested in supporting the building of businesses in Africa and Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting impact on people’s lives, then our 8 to 10-week internship is for you.
As well as being offered meaningful work, working with diverse teams. You will have a comprehensive induction, attend networking sessions and our speaker series.
BII has an extensive history of supporting private sector development in emerging markets. A key component of BII’s non-financial value add is the support we provide to investee companies and funds in relation to environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues.
Over recent years we have developed a range of good practice guidance tools (including BII’s ESG Toolkit for Fund Managers, which is available at the following link https://toolkit.bii.co.uk/), case studies and sustainability reviews, and strategic approaches that aim to support our investees and the broader private sector investment community operating in emerging markets.
BII’s ESG-I team wishes to continue developing materials that reflect that rapidly changing landscape of ESG in emerging markets.
- work in collaboration with BII’s communications and media team to develop case-studies in several media formats which showcase the work of the ESG-I team and which will be published in both internal and external forums
- be involved in developing aspects of our strategic approach to specific E&S issues and support the ESG-I team in further development. This may include literature reviews, devising new assessment and reporting tools, and inputting into guidance documents
- work with ESG-I team members in assessing and analysing ESG aspects on existing investments and portfolio companies
- University degree or equivalent and currently enrolled in an MBA or equivalent programme
- Demonstrable working experience, preferably in ESG-related topics in emerging markets
- Demonstration of identity with BII’s proposition including:
- An awareness of and appreciation for BII’s objectives
- A desire and passion to be part of BII’s strategy and participate in its work
- Evidence of high performance standards in previous positions
- Demonstrable experience in working in ESG related topics
- Excellent written and analytical skills, with a proven ability to collate and verify data
- Ability to work independently and unaided, with evidence of ability to deliver quality products on time
- Working experience of emerging markets will be an advantage
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
British International Investment is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
- Please provide a cover letter with your application, and tell us why you would like to join the Summer Internship at BII, and why you have chosen to apply for this business area / team
- Please apply for one internship only
- Position opened: 24th October 2022
- Position closes: 9th December 2022
- Salary: £58, 135 (pro-rated over 8 or 10 weeks)
Please note BII will pay for flights to London for those studying internationally